Monday, February 13, 2012

Coasting

All over Rwanda, rural or urban, there is a massive number of moto (motorcyle) taxis. Much cheaper than car, they are the primary mode of transportation for shorter distances. It is no exaggeration to say there is never a flat area in Rwanda (except maybe for the Eastern Provence), therefore in an effort to conserve gas, the moto drivers change to neutral gear when down hill coasting for miles. In another life, I would love to be a moto driver in rural Rwanda!

So it has been some time since I last updated you, no specific reason, but simply articling thoughts and feelings about my everyday experience here has been difficult, they range on the hour so pinning them down feels complicated.  Although, my scope of work is consistent, for the most part, since my last update, the fluidity of cultural norms, my western perspective, and the background of historical trauma keeps a consistent ebb and flow of hopeful and discouraging feelings.

 Once again, I am reminded international work provides a platform for intense personal reflection and awareness. Putting academic endeavors in the midst and my own fueling of goal objectives while at WeAct has provided a complex assortment of pressure to be organized, goal oriented, and a clear outcome to substantiate my time here was productive. When voicing my frustration and fears to a wise friend, she reminded me of our innate cultural need as Westerns to set a goal and measure our accomplishments, contrary to African culture (and many others) who value the process regarding relationships and fostering a sense of community (Thanks, Kim!). Therefore, instead of speeding to a goal telling me I have arrived thus confirming my contribution, I am working at coasting, conserving my self serving need to check off a goal obtained, and focus on partnering with WeAct staff and youth to assure to meet them where they are most in need, to take time to understand the cultural perspective of care and where I can help contribute, support, or just listen.

Oh...and over the weekend visit to Lake Kivu, I took an amazing moto ride along the coast although it was mainly up hill, so we didn't get to coast :)

Lake Kivu, North Western Province

Home made pottery from a local co-op.

Sixth largest fresh water lake in Africa. Really nice swimming, this is an inlet, the lake is vastly wide you can not see the DRC on the other side. 

Fishing village

Hitching a ride!!

Heading out at dusk. The fishermen collectively sang rhythmic traditional songs on the way out and the way back home. Amazing moment to witnesss.  I have video, but my internet is too slow :(

2 comments:

  1. That is wise advise to take on. It would be so difficult to break that need of results or goals. Thanks for updating! It is so great to hear what is going on with you out there... and as a side note... I am so jealous. The moto ride sounds ammaazing! Looking forward to the next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This experience demands a lot of adaptability, patience and courage, and I'd say you have it all in spades. It challenges you to meet unfamiliar circumstances with an open mind and heart, and to navigate and process your perceptions mostly on your own. Not easy, but potentially very rewarding. Your peers in other placements are expressing similar sentiments, perhaps you have been able to read their blogs. Just know you are not alone! Sending you lots of support-Andrea

    ReplyDelete